Seeing as most media reports concerning social media seem to rely on no evidence whatsoever, I thought I'd pinch an idea from Josie Fraser, and just make up some stats (she had some wonderful ones about retweeting). Feel free to use any of these, remember they have no basis in truth, but when has that stopped people? I expect to see them in an interview with Baroness Greenfield any day now.
- 7 out of 13 people confess that they would rather go on holiday with their iPad than their spouse
- Every day £27 billion in productivity is lost through people using social media at work
- 4 out of 9 people admit to having tweeted during sex
- If you put all of Stephen Fry's followers end to end they would stretch from Bolton to Biarritz and then back up to La Rochelle.
- 5 out of 4 young people admit that they use social media to cheat on assignments
- If Facebook were a country and each person had ten foot square, it would be the size of 27 Wales.
- 76% of all Twitter accounts are young ladies in bikins selling iPads
- Excessive use of social media causes a 33.45% inflammation of the hippocampus
- 88% of all teenagers say they would rather chat on Facebook than stroke a puppy
- Using social media for more than 20 seconds a day increases your chances of cancer by 37%
- Using iPads (only iPads mind, no other tablet) in class increased student performance by 2000%
- Children who play computer games for more than 20 minutes per day are 17% less likely to recognise their mother in a crowd
I'll stop there shall I?